Rue Morgue

Most major European cities have a district dominated by magic qua magic (as opposed to science). In Paris, that district is the Left Bank, and the center of that district is the Rue Morgue.

The details of the Rue Morgue’s founding are largely lost to the mists of history—or, if anyone knows, they certainly are not forthcoming. As long as most Parisians remember, the Rue Morgue has been the center of magical society in Paris, dating back at least to the time of the Gauls. Most historians speculate that the Rue Morgue grew out of the area of Paris (or, at the time, Parisii or Lutece in Latin) housing a sect of Gallic Druids. By the time of the first written accounts of Paris, found in Roman travel writings, what would become Paris was already the thriving trade capital of the future French empire.

Since that time, the area has been a hotbed of magical activity. The Rue Morgue of 1898 houses numerous shops, covens, hotels (of various quality), public houses, and clubs. These usually-private clubs are the central gathering places of magical society in Paris—they are areas in which mages can freely gather and associate. Membership in the most prestigious of these clubs is the object of admiration and envy of others.

Rue Morgue

Adventures on the Rue Morgue chewie